Students of MHTP and CMPs must understand, sign, and strictly adhere to the MHTP Code of Ethics and Conduct for our profession.
MHTP Code of Ethics AND Conduct
As a student or graduate of the Music for Healing & Transition Program, Inc. I agree to conduct myself in accordance with the following principles:
- I will conduct live therapeutic music sessions consistent with the process and curriculum as developed and taught by the Music for Healing & Transition Program, Inc.
- I will perform my work as a Certified Music Practitioner with integrity, always keeping the interest of the patient I am serving as my priority.
- I will obtain the patient’s and/or family’s/caregiver’s permission for a therapeutic music session or obtain permission from facility staff members.
- I will respect the patient’s rights and dignity, providing therapeutic music based upon each patient’s unique needs and with respect for individual patient differences.
- I will keep my interactions with people non-exploitive and will not discriminate against any patient based on nationality, race, creed, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, or status.
- I will work harmoniously with nurses, physicians, and other members of the patient’s healthcare team and staff in those facilities where I serve.
- I will hold all information shared during a therapeutic music session as confidential and uphold all HIPAA requirements. I will refrain from incorporating other healing modalities into my therapeutic music sessions unless I have the qualifications to do so and unless I have the patient’s and/or the family’s/caregiver’s permission.
- I will refrain from proselytizing my religious beliefs through choice of music or speech during a therapeutic music session.
- I will refrain from discussing my personal problems or issues with those seeking my professional services.
- I will strengthen my abilities as a Certified Music Practitioner through continuing practice, education, and mentoring from my peers.
- I will be supportive of fellow Certified Music Practitioners. I will not infringe upon the intellectual property of MHTP and will not inappropriately use any copyrighted materials from the MHTP curriculum, nor will I teach MHTP copyrighted materials to others.